What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Tuesday, May 12, 2009

More About Traffic in Egypt

I've written a couple of previous posts about Egyptian traffic. Anyone who has visited Cairo has traffic stories to tell.

The wonderful blog Whazzup Egypt just alerted me to this article by a BBC reporter on the traffic situation. And a recent accident on the Ring Road was so horrendous that friends even called to report on it. Initial reports put the death toll at four but I saw later reports rising much higher.

One should always use caution when traveling within Egypt. This recent report from Luxor confirms thoughts that I have had when considering the balloon rides available there.

Part of the reason that I urge caution in Cairo is because you must always walk in the street:


A good part of the reason for walking in the street is that cars park on the sidewalk:


Be especially cautious at intersections where the traffic may be heavy. You can't wait for the cars to stop!


Sometimes you just have to get out of the way of a vehicle. Yes, this is a picture of a delivery truck making a run down a street that you might think is for pedestrians only:


But if the traffic seems like too much for walking, I suppose you can always just get on a bus. This one seems crowded but the next one might be worse:

No comments: