What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Friday, January 20, 2012

Airplanes on a Stick - Owatonna, Minnesota

On our first morning, after we left home, we stopped in Owatonna, MN for breakfast.  I was tempted to photograph the "airplanes on a stick" along I-35 but recalled that I had already done so.

But I had never blogged about them.  Seeing other planes reminded me that I should do so.

As you drive down through Owatonna, Minnesota, on I-35, you'll probably notice a cluster of three T-38 jet trainers in a "bomb-burst" formation on the west side of the highway.  Pull in for a closer look.
Airplanes_Owatonna-4

The planes were put in place and are maintained with the aid of a group of volunteers with a love of aviation and a desire to establish a tribute to the services of the United State Air Force.  The photos below capture the messages from the plaques at the base of the monument. (Click on the photos to enlarge)
Airplanes_Owatonna-1 Airplanes_Owatonna-2 Airplanes_Owatonna-3

The planes are in very good condition.
Airplanes_Owatonna-5



1 comment:

kmefersure said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to go visit those planes! They are so beautifully made and put up like that....You're a lucky guy to get to see them in person :)