What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Tuesday, May 1, 2012

University of California, Berkeley - 2012 and 1969

My next major stop after visiting the Computer Museum in Mountain View was Berkeley.  I was gathering some information about Electrical Engineering professor Paul Morton.  Morton managed to wrangle a grant from the Navy in 1948 and set about building the CALDIC (California Digital Computer.)

Morton had a remarkable group of E.E. students in the 1948-52 time frame including John Alrich and Jerry Foster who would be key players in the creation of ElectroData's Datatron down in Pasadena.  Other notable pupils were John Haanstra who would play a key role at IBM in the development of the 14xx line of computers, Al Hoagland who played a key role in the development of IBM disk technology and Doug Engelbart who invented the mouse that you are probably using to navigate this Web-page.  Morton must have been quite the teacher.


Berkeley has some very attractive areas on the campus.
California-17



The 307 foot tall Sather Clock Tower is a landmark, of course.  You can see the top of it on the right side of this picture.
California-18



As I was leaving campus, I couldn't help but notice that the campus police have a pretty tough-looking mobile command post.  
California-19

I didn't see any major threats to law and order.  This student group looked pretty peaceful.
California-20



I turned and took one last photo that captured the M. L. King Student Union.  It wasn't until I got home that I recalled I had several other shots in Sproul Plaza near the student union taken during my last visit to the campus in November of 1969.  Linda and I were honeymooning in the area and dropped in to see what was happening on this well-known campus.  I had just completed my army training and would soon to be en-route to Vietnam.
Berkeley12-1

Fashions have changed a bit since 1969.
Berkeley69-1

No one is collecting signatures on petitions to allow 18, 19 and 20 year-old to vote.  President Nixon brought that to pass
Berkeley69-2

There was a police presence on the Berkeley campus in 1969.  Not quite as imposing as the current mobile command post, though.
Berkeley69-3

But in looking at these pictures, I realized that while I was focused (literally) on random students, those campus cops appear to be hauling someone off to an undisclosed location.
Berkeley69-4 Berkeley69-5

No comments: