What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Sunday, June 30, 2013

Back Home and Blogging

My plan to blog from Tanzania ran into a three-way buzzsaw so my apologies to anyone who has been wondering whatever happened to Tom and Linda after their first night below the equator.
  1. WIFI access is pretty limited in the areas that we visited.  Hey, electricity was only available from 6 pm to 11 pm in some spots!
  2. My plan to get a 3G SIM card for the iPad to get access to the Internet failed miserably.  I took one brief run at it but realized it wasn't going to be easy.  I didn't get much support from my travel leader who (I am told by a spy) was authoritatively told, "you can't put a SIM card in an iPad."  This no doubt will come as quite a surprise to folks like Vodaphone who sell them and monthly data plans all around the globe, such as here.
  3. My biggest hangup, though, was time.  We were kept busy from about 8 in the morning till 10 at night.
So you are going to get the Tanzania story a bit late but with the quality that comes from doing it from home.

And, through very good fortune, at the end of the trip I met up with someone who can help anyone get onto a 3G data connection in northern Tanzania.  More on that in the next post.

No comments: